by Pickleball Superstore March 28, 2023
- Overall: the weight of these paddles at 8.5oz is on the heavier side. The swing weight is higher which gives the paddles more power than the original CX14s. With the power, you lose some of the hand speed and control at the net.
- Durability: Gearbox paddles tend to excel when it comes to durability. They offer a 1-year warranty and rarely do we hear about customers breaking the neck of their paddles like JOOLA and ONIX. We don't see any issues regarding durability of the new CX14 Ultimate paddles - other than maybe the grit diminishing over time.
- Performance: the original CX14 pickleball paddles were soft and required additional effort to generate pace. The CX14 Ultimate pickleball paddles are an improvement in the pace department but not at a complete sacrifice of control.
- Spin: the spin on these paddles has improved with the Hyper-Bite 2.0 Spin Technology. After playing with the paddle for a while, it appears that the coating diminishes over time. Meaning, like many paddles on the market today, the more you play with the paddle the more the paddle face grit will decrease, resulting in less spin over time.
- Power: the original CX14 paddles are not known for power, they are quite soft and excellent for control / feel. The CX14 Ultimate paddles do not disappoint in the power department. While the ProKennex Black Ace is a beast when it comes to power, the CX14 Ultimate paddles have good pop and more control than the Black Ace.
- Control: the original CX14 paddles are recommended over the Ultimate models if you're interested in control and feel. The Ultimate paddles do improve power, however they do allow for control as well - but power is the main feature.
- Sweet Spot: when hitting the ball in the center of these paddles, all is good. But when a ball hits off-center, the strike is not as clean as desired. Gearbox paddles are not known for large sweet spots like VELOZ, and although the CX14 Ultimate pickleball paddles appear to have an improved sweet spot, you might need to add some lead tape for improved overall performance.
Introducing the all-new CX14 Ultimate Power Collection with new Power Band Technology, the most advanced paddle yet created by Gearbox. Inspired by the original CX14 but re-engineered with fearless creativity and ingenuity, this collection is designed to push the limits of paddle technology. Power Band Technology detaches and suspends the patented SSTcore rib structure from the perimeter of the paddle, creating a trampoline effect on the paddle face. The slight slope visible around the paddle's edge is your Power Band, giving you effortless Power with a solid, plush feel. With its improved sweet spot offering more consistency and improved touch, to its upgraded Edgeless Frame now with more reinforcement, stability, and power, the CX14 Ultimate Power collection is the pro-choice of Joey Farias and Frank Anthony Davis.
A new innovation to the Ultimate Power series is Hyper-Bite 2.0 Technology. This technology is the culmination of multiple elements from the core itself, to the carbon fiber face, to two applications of urethane and texture to bite and impart spin onto a pickleball like never before.
Factor in the aerodynamic edgeless design of the CX14E Elongated Ribbed Core Paddle from Gearbox Pickleball and you have a stable paddle with a thick core and effortless power that will stand up to daily play as long as you can.
The CX14 Elongated shape utilizes our thicker 14mm stability profile. The paddle is excellent for players coming to experience Gearbox’s SST Technology, from a lesser performing thick honeycomb paddle.
The New CX14 Elongated is longer in length offering more reach and helps create more spin with its more narrow head. This paddle is ideal for players seeking stability with reach. The paddle also features a longer handle to help accommodate a two-handed shot. It is excellent for players who enjoy the feel of a thicker honeycomb core paddle but want the durability and performance of Gearbox’s #1 SST ribbed core technology.
The CX14 Hyper shape utilizes our thicker 14mm stability profile. The paddle is excellent for players coming to experience Gearbox’s SST Technology, from a lesser performing thick honeycomb core paddle.
The New CX14 Hyper paddle has a longer handle and combined with a shorter, Quad shaped face. This combination of a longer lever with a smaller head, gives this paddle a unique playstyle, making it quick and maneuverable despite being 14mm. It offers the agility of an 11mm paddle with the stability and feel of a thick core paddle. The feel is surprisingly fast in your hands. The longer handle easily accommodates a two-handed shot. It is excellent for players who enjoy the feel of a thicker honeycomb core paddle but want the durability and performance of Gearbox’s #1 SST ribbed core technology.